This course will help you support this diverse group of pupils, by helping your staff:
- Confidently assess pupils’ stages of language acquisition
- Equip themselves with practical, evidence-based strategies to support children with English as an additional language at every stage of language acquisition
- Gain a deeper understanding of social and emotional factors that affect pupils’ learning
Session 1 - Understanding the complexity of identifying and providing for pupils with EAL - (90 minutes)
- Examine definitions of EAL and the definitions of terms associated with it.
- Explore theoretical models of second language acquisition, and learn how to identify a pupil’s stage of language acquisition.
- Consider the complex emotional and social needs of EAL pupils
- Explore the needs of new arrivals
- Gain more knowledge of the first language assessment (FLA) process to develop your practice
- Learn practical strategies for supporting "Code A" EAL learners (new arrivals to the country)
- Apply the EAL assessment codes and develop an understanding of what these mean in practical terms
- Trial, critique and reflect on a range of practical strategies for supporting EAL learners
- Examine your own school practice and identify ways in which you could develop it to better support EAL learners in your school
£55 per person per session
£165 in total